Thursday, September 1, 2011

::running::

I have been running for two months now (since July 11). I can't believe that in the span of eight weeks, I've gone from a completely unfit, post-baby, "I-eat-whatever-I-want-and-don't-care" body to officially considering myself a "runner."

I started running to:


-get out of the house,
-work up a sweat,
-gain some endurance and energy,
-take some time for myself, and, of course,
-lose my baby weight.

I found an app on the iPhone called LogYourRun that calculates EVERYTHING for me, and even has a host of running programs to choose from, based on your end goal. (At first, when I didn't know how to properly navigate the site, all I could see were the marathon and half marathon programs. They scared me silly.) When I finally realized I could choose a different goal, I chose the "Complete Beginners 10 k run" program, which helps you work up to 10 kms over eight weeks.

With the 10 km deadline being next Friday's Terry Fox Run here on base, I have successfully worked my way (so far) from the first training session of running 1 minute, walking 2 minutes, eight times (which took me a grand total of 2.9 kms - haha!), to today's run of running 30 minutes, walking 2 minutes, twice (8.4 kms - yeah!).

Dora and I running along the ATV trail on base.

In 2004, I came home from a 2.5 month trip to Europe 22 lbs heavier than when I left (France has the best bread, wine and cheese, ok?), and decided to try running to lose that weight. I joined a 13-week InTraining running clinic put on by the Vancouver Sun Run and realized that even though I had only run sprints in track & field when I was younger, long-distance running was indeed a possibility for me. I learned that I simply needed to start slow and work my way up to my goal. The best part was that it was all laid out for me - all I had to do was go down the list each week and complete the sessions one by one (without looking too far ahead and becoming discouraged!). I did it and ran the 10 km Vancouver Sun Run in 64 minutes.

Being that I ran 64 mins yesterday and only travelled 8.4 kms, I obviously have some time to make up in the next week. But I think it can be done. Even if I'm a few minutes behind, it will certainly feel good to know that I am more fit, healthier, and have more energy than 8 weeks ago. So far, I have lost 8 lbs and have 12 lbs to go to get to my pre-Heidi weight.

But let me be the first to clarify I am not on a diet. We eat pretty healthy already, but I do love me some chocolate. I have stopped baking so much but I don't deny myself something yummy if it's around. (Chocolate fondue night with the girls? Heck yes! Cheesecake at Gullivers? You bet! Ice cream in Minnedosa? Uh-huh!) I mean, it's summertime, so I'm not going to get down on myself about enjoying food. I just make better choices. For example, a Twix Bar will taste great, but homemade cookies would taste better. And instead of a sugary, fatty Timmy's Ice Cap, I'll head to Starbucks for a Vivanno smoothie or skinny latte. I guess I just figure that if I'm going to eat something that's not so great for me, it had better be worth it! There is something so much more motivating about knowing that you're only cheating yourself by making poor dietary choices. I want to be in good shape to keep up with my kids, too, so my level of determination is much higher than it would be to simply want to fit into a certain dress or my favourite jeans.

So that's been my life for the past two months and I plan to keep it up. It feels good to have that time away from the house, and push myself a little farther each day. I am sure the routine will change when the snow arrives and I'll be relegated to the gym instead of the great outdoors. But until then, I am really enjoying this new part of my life.

3 comments:

  1. Way to Go Meg!!! You're an inspiration! XO

    ReplyDelete
  2. love like always, way to go so proud of your megs! YOU look great but even better YOU FEEL IT

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's awesome - good for you for sticking to it! Running has been great for me too. I go through times where I don't run as much, and then other months where I'm crazy gung-ho. I'm not in super shape, but I feel good, and I know it's good for me. Glad you're enjoying it so far! :)

    ReplyDelete